Woman flies from England to Australia – level 2
In 1930, a woman flew from England to Australia. She was the first woman to do this. Now, a British adventurer paid tribute to that woman by flying from England to Australia again.
The adventurer flew 21,000 kilometres across 23 countries. It took her twenty days.
She flew in an old Boeing 1942 Stearman. The plane has an open cockpit which means that the pilot is exposed. The woman said that the flight was really tiring.
The plane will now go to America. Later in 2016, it will fly across the USA.
Difficult words: adventurer (a person who likes adventure – taking long and exciting trips), pay tribute (to show respect), exposed (not protected from the weather).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.