Women row across the Pacific – level 1
This news is about four British women. They row across the Pacific Ocean. They travel 13,600 kilometres. It takes them nine months. They meet with whales and sharks. They row through a storm, too.
They start in San Francisco, and they finish in Cairns, Australia. Their family and friends wait for them there. Everybody is happy to meet again.
The trip raises money for charity.
Difficult words: row (to make a boat move by moving a long stick that touches the water), storm (very bad and dangerous weather), raised (past of “raise” – to make).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this trip?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.