World Scrabble Championship – level 3
Scrabble enthusiasts from 30 countries competed at the World Scrabble Championship in Lille, France. People described the final between two Brits as nail-biting.
There were many high-scoring words, and two of them really stood out from the final – gynaecia and braconid which scored the player 176 points. Gynaecia is plural for gynoecium, which is the carpels of a flowering plant, collectively. Braconid is a small parasitic wasp.
The winner said that it was absolutely amazing to be the World Scrabble Champion of 2016. On top of claiming the title, he also collected 7,000 euros. He is going to celebrate the win by going out, buying a bottle of champagne and not playing Scrabble again for the rest of the year.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.