World Surf League – level 1
Big Wave is a competition. It takes place in Mexico. Surfers ride big waves at the competition. Big Wave is part of the World Surf League.
Josh Kerr is an Australian surfer. He wins the Big Wave competition. His score is 24.27. Greg Long is second. He is an American. His score is 18.84.
Kerr moves to the fifth place in the league. Long moves to the first place. However, there are still two more events in the league.
Difficult words: wave (when water rises up in the ocean), competition (a situation when you compete – try to win at something), league (a series of competitions).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you surf?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.