World War I memorial – level 1
It is World War I. There is a big battle. It is at a place called Gallipoli. It is in Turkey. Many soldiers die there. About 130,000 soldiers die.
Some soldiers are from Australia. Some soldiers are from New Zealand. This is the first time that the countries go to war. This shows that they are independent from England. This is important for the countries.
Now it is 100 years later. It is April 25, 2015. People commemorate the battle at Gallipoli.
Difficult words: battle (a big fight), independent (to do things alone), commemorate (to remember).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this service?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.