World War One soldier – level 2
Scientists discovered the remains of a soldier. He was German and he died during World War One.
He was between 20 to 25 years old when he died. Someone buried his uniform and equipment with him, so we know that he was German. People discovered the soldier in a fortress which is in the northeast of France. Its position made it an important strategic point for both sides of the war. Both German and French forces controlled it at some points during the war.
Over 16 million people lost their lives during World War One. At that time, it was described as the war to end all wars.
Difficult words: equipment (things), fortress (large strong building for defending an important area), forces (army).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Is there anything good about a war?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.