World’s best skater can go to the Olympics – level 2
American athlete Erin Jackson is the world’s best speed skater, and she is number one in the 500-meter event. She nearly missed the chance to go to the Olympics in Beijing, China, next month.
During Olympic trials, she made a mistake, and she ended in third place. Brittany Bowe, Jackson’s friend and teammate, came first, and Kimi Goetz ended second. Only the athletes, who were in the first two places, could go to the Olympics. It was a big shock for Jackson, and for Bowe, too, and then Bowe did something that nobody expected.
She gave up her own spot in the 500-meter event to Jackson. Jackson got a chance to be in the event, and Bowe could still be in the 1,000 and 1,500-meter events.
Difficult words: Olympic trial (an event at which officials choose the athletes who will be at the Olympic Games), give up (to give something to somebody else), spot (a place).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos