Yak polo in Pakistan – level 1
Here is news from Pakistan. Every year, people hold a festival there. Part of the festival has an interesting sport. It is called yak polo.
It is like normal polo. However, the players don’t ride on horses. They ride on yaks! A yak is a big animal. It looks like a hairy cow.
This area of Pakistan is very traditional. The people there don’t know about electricity, hospitals or other things. Many people never leave this area.
Difficult words: hold (have), hairy (a lot of hair), traditional (without modern ideas or things).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Would you like to try this sport?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.