Young Girl Can Hear – level 2
A girl was born without an ear canal in her left ear. Since she could not hear very well, she could not acquire language properly. It was very hard to understand her.
At five years old, she is the youngest person ever to get an inner ear implant. Her doctor explained that the implant is small and placed behind the ear and under the skin where it can directly help the inner ear to take sound into the ear.
The girl’s mother said that people can understand her better now, and the girl said that she cannot name all of the things that she can hear now. She was pretty amazed!
Difficult words: acquire (learn), inner ear (the part of the ear where sound moves so that you can hear sound), implant (a thing that people add into the body), ear canal (the opening inside the ear).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.