Young pelican is getting big – level 2
Two Dalmatian Pelicans were born at the San Diego Zoo in California last month. Both of them are fine. One of them, in fact, is doing too good.
He is just a month old, but he is around 12 pounds (5.4 kilograms) heavy. The zoo staff must watch the pelican to make sure that he does not eat too much. If he eats too much, he will grow too quickly.
The two pelican siblings do not live together – that would be dangerous. Pelican siblings often attack each other. When they are both old enough, they will join the rest of the flock.
Difficult words: in fact (actually; we say this to show when something is important, surprising or to make the reader sure of something), staff (a group of people who work somewhere), flock (a group of birds).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Babies grow so fast... :-)
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.