Plane crash in Russia – level 3
The pilot of a Russian fighter jet has been killed in a crash outside Moscow. Russia’s Defence Ministry said the SU-27 fighter jet, which was part of the country’s elite aerobatic team the Russian Night, was returning to its base at the time of the incident and was not carrying weapons or ammunition.
Aviation sources said the crash looked like the result of some kind of technical failure and the Russian Air Force has grounded its entire fleet of Sukhoi 27 jets.
Defence Ministry sources were cited a saying the pilot didn’t have time to eject because he’d used his final seconds to steer the aircraft away from a populated area. An investigation is reportedly underway into the cause of the crash.
Difficult words: elite (high-ranking), aerobatic (skilful moving), steer (make go left or right), cite (report what someone else said), reportedly (according to what some say).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.