A flying boat – level 3
Athletes in France competed in the first ever flying boat race, a new type of foil cycling that allows cyclists to ´fly on water´ aboard pedal-powered boats.
Annecy-based startup JetCycle created the boats. According to JetCycle´s CEO Nicolas Picard, the pedaling system resembles the concept of boat cycling while laying down.
However, there is an innovation of foil at the front and at the back. A pushing system allows pedaling at the speed of around 9 kilometers per hour, and it start a small flight controller, just like in a plane, to fly on water by using the foil.
This mix between sailing and cycling is intended to be a new fitness activity with no carbon dioxide emissions. It combines performance, endurance, and the pleasure for boat sports. Sold for 12,000 euros each, the JetCycle is for rental professionals, and Picard hopes to sell 100 JetCycles within three years.
Difficult words: innovation (a new method or idea), propulsion (the action of driving or pushing forwards), carbon dioxide emissions (the gas that comes from vehicles which move), endurance (the ability to do something for a long time).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.