A man kills a politician in a church – level 2
David Amess was a British politician, a member of the Conservative Party. Last weekend, he had a meeting with his voters in a church in Essex. Suddenly, a man with a knife ran inside and he attacked Amess.
Emergency services tried to help the politician, but he died. Police arrested a 25-year-old man, who was British, but he came from Somalia. Police said that the murder was a terrorist attack.
Amess was an MP since 1983, he was married, and he had five children. He was the second politician killed in the last five years. In 2016, a man killed another MP Jo Cox in front of a library in West Yorkshire.
Difficult words: Conservative Party (a political party in the British government), voter (a person who votes for someone for a job in politics), MP (a Member of Parliament or the country’s government in Britain).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.