A Man Rows across the Atlantic – level 2
A 70-year-old, Frank Rothwell from Oldham, UK, became the oldest person who rowed alone across the Atlantic Ocean.
Rothwell’s journey started on the Canary Islands on December 12, 2020. Rothwell rowed 4,800 kilometers in a boat called ’Never Too Old’, and he reached Antigua and Barbuda after 56 days, 2 hours and 41 minutes. He spent 18 months training and preparing, so he was very happy and excited when he finished his journey.
Rothwell raised over 890,000 dollars for Alzheimer’s disease research, and he paid tribute to his brother-in-law who died from Alzheimer’s disease during Rothwell’s journey. He inspired other people to fulfill their dreams, and he helped spread information about the disease.
Difficult words: row (to use your hands to make a boat move), Alzheimer’s disease (a disease when an old person’s brain stops working well), tribute (to say openly that you like and respect somebody).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos