A model is not pretty anymore – level 1
Linda Evangelista comes from Canada. She is a supermodel in the 1990s. A supermodel is a very famous model. A model is a person who wears things for advertisements.
Evangelista undergoes several surgeries between 2015 and 2016. She wants to look slimmer and prettier.
Something goes wrong. Some parts of her body swell. She changes. She is not pretty anymore. Doctors cannot help her.
Evangelista loses her job. She cannot work as a model anymore. She stays in her home all the time. She does not want to talk to anyone. She has depression.
Evangelista goes to court. She wants 50 million dollars from the company which does the surgeries. She says that the company does not tell her about the dangers of the surgeries.
Difficult words: undergo (to experience something), swell (to become larger and rounder than usual), depression (a very strong sadness).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos