A New Face – level 2
On December 23, 2006, a man was so depressed that he wanted to die. He put a gun below his chin and tried to kill himself. He survived and instantly knew that he had made a terrible mistake.
His face was destroyed and he did not want his face to stay this way. He needed a face transplant. His doctor found a face donor and after a 56-hour operation, he had a new face from another man. The transplant gave him a new nose, cheeks, mouth, lips, jaw, chin, and even teeth.
Difficult words: instantly (immediately; right after), donor (someone’s dead body from which doctors take body parts), cheeks (the ‘sides’ of your face), jaw (the bones for your chin and teeth).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.