A panda is back in China – level 2
A giant panda named Ya Ya lived in a Tennessee zoo for twenty years. Last week, it returned to China as part of a loan agreement.
In 2003, Ya Ya and a male giant panda named Le Le moved to Memphis Zoo when Ya Ya was just three years old. Le Le died in February because of a sick heart. The animals were a symbol of friendship between China and America. But animal advocates started to worry about the animals’ health. A video emerged online and it showed Ya Ya with less fur and underweight. China accused the US of looking badly after the animals.
According to the zoo’s website, Ya Ya had a skin and fur disease which didn’tt impact her life but occasionally made her hair appear thin and patchy. Veterinarians and the care team watched both animals closely all the time.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What impact did Ya Ya have on the symbol of friendship between China and America?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.