A Royal record – level 2
Queen Victoria was the longest ruling British monarch. However, her great-great-granddaughter Queen Elizabeth II broke the record rule of 63 years and 216 days.
The Royal Mint released a new coin to commemorate the event. There are five portraits of the Queen on the coin – the first one shows the Queen when she was young, and the last shows what Elizabeth looks like now.
The coin is made from silver and people can buy it for £20. One hundred and fifty thousand coins are available to buy.
Difficult words: rule (to be the king or queen), mint (a place where coins are made), commemorate (to celebrate, show respect).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like Queen Elizabeth II?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.