A Royal record – level 3
Queen Elizabeth II will become the longest serving British monarch next week. In anticipation, the Royal Mint has released a brand new coin to commemorate the event.
The new coin is designed to show The Queen from five different portraits at various points throughout her 63-year-reign. The designer Stephen Taylor said he wanted his design to convey how the Queen has matured on the face of a coin, just as Queen Victoria did.
Kevin Clancy, the director of the Royal Mint Museum, said he was thrilled with the way it looks.
Though it’s nothing new for the Royal Mint to bring out a new coin, they were excited by the prospect of this coin, which marks an important date in Royal history. Members of the public will be able to buy the coin, made from silver, for £20 – 150,000 of them are available.
The Queen surpasses Queen Victoria’s record reign of 63 years and 216 days on the 9th of September.
Difficult words: anticipation (the action of anticipating – expecting, waiting for something to happen), reign (the period when somebody is king or queen), convey (to communicate), prospect (the possibility that something will happen), surpass (to be even better than someone else).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.