A runner must leave the Olympics – level 1
Krystsina Tsimanouskaya is a runner. She comes from Belarus. She competes at the Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan.
Tsimanouskaya is not happy with her team officials. Tsimanouskaya must run a race which she never runs before. Team officials do not let her run a different race.
The runner says this on her Instagram account. It is a big problem for the Belarus government news. Tsimanouskaya must leave Tokyo.
Team officials go to the airport with her. She does not want to leave Japan. She says that Belarus is not a safe country.
Tsimanouskaya asks sports officials for help. She is now in the Polish embassy in Tokyo. She is safe there.
Difficult words: compete (when you do a sport or other activity, and you want to be better than the others who do it, too), race (when runners, horses or cars, want to be faster than the others), embassy (a building where politicians and officials work who are from another country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos