A study on autism – level 3
For more than 20 years, researchers from Columbia University have ran a long-term study on autism.
The study involved more than 115,000 children, and it investigated the causes of autism and possible ways to prevent it. According to scientists, strong genetic factors were part of it. The study involved blood and genetic testing and detailed health questionnaires.
It found three different factors caused autism which were certain genes, the environmental conditions, and the time of these events. Multiple circumstances created the conditions for autism. They were specifically inflammation in the body and a high fever during the second trimester of the pregnancy, when critical neural pathways develop in the unborn baby. The study showed that some children were at a lower risk of having autism if their mothers took ibuprofen to treat the fever.
It’s estimated that one in 44 children in the US has been diagnosed with autism.
Difficult words: trimester (a period of three months), neural pathway (the nerves or the nervous system), ibuprofen (a drug that treats fever and pain).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos