A tourist gets lost in a jungle – level 1
Daniel Florian is from Germany. He travels to Colombia. He visits an area in southwest Colombia.
Florian takes part in a special ritual. He drinks Yage tea. Yage is a South American vine. Local people use it in traditional medicine. They boil its bark.
They drink a tea from it. The tea is hallucinogenic. Hallucinogenic means that when people drink or eat this thing, they see and hear things which are not real.
Florian gets lost. Nobody sees him for seven days. He is alone in the jungle.
Colombian soldiers find him. They take him to hospital. He does not remember what happens. He does not feel well. He does not drink water for several days.
Difficult words: ritual (a special activity when people usually dance, drink, and sing because they want to feel something or celebrate something), traditional (something that exists for a long time), bark (the hard part of a tree).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.