A university honors a girl – level 2
A nine-year-old Bobbi Wilson was catching lanternflies in front of her house in New Jersey, United States. She was catching them because lanternflies were dangerous insects, and she wanted to help the environment.
Suddenly, the police came and they asked the girl what she was doing. The girl’s mother was surprised why. The officers said that a neighbor called them because he was scared.
The family spoke about the incident at a local council meeting. They said that the neighbor called the police only because the girl was black.
People are shocked. Police officers invited Bobbi to the local police station and Yale University honored the girl. She gave her collection of lanternflies to a museum in Yale.
Difficult words: lanternfly (a large insects which destroys fruit crops and trees), council (a group of people who manage a city), honor (to show respect).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Who called the police on Bobbi Wilson?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos