A very big fish – level 3
According to experts, a gigantic sunfish found in tuna fishing nets in the Mediterranean Sea could weigh up to 2,000 kilograms.
Scientists measured the fish at 3.2 meters long and 2.9 meters wide, a record find for Ceuta, a Spanish independent city on the north coast of Africa. When scientists weighed the sunfish, it almost broke the 100-kilogram scale. Marine biologist Enrique Ostale said that he had only read of sunfish this size in books.
Due to tides and sunfish migratory patterns, the area has many encounters; however, scientists didn’t know they would see and touch a sunfish of such size.
The gigantic sunfish is classed as vulnerable and not eaten in Europe. It was released safely back into the sea.
Difficult words: migratory (related to animals traveling in large numbers to a different place), encounter (an unexpected meeting with someone or something), be classed as vulnerable (to be in need of a special care or protection).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.