A woman says, ’I am not dead!’ – level 2
Four years ago, Jeanne Pouchain’s husband got a letter from a court which said that his wife died, and he had to pay her debts. It was a crazy moment for the man because his wife was standing next to him.
The court’s mistake meant that the woman was legally dead. The woman started a long fight with authorities to prove that she was alive. Pouchain lost work, and she did not have a valid ID and social security card. It meant that she could not go to the doctor and dentist, and her health started to get worse.
Pouchain’s family spent all their savings on court costs, and the court even took some of their things. Now, it seems that the court may look at Pouchain’s case again, and she could finally feel alive again.
Difficult words: debt (money which a person must pay to somebody else), prove (to show that something is true), social security card (a card with a special number on it with which a person can get a job and some help from the government).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos