15th-century ship – level 2
Construction workers in a Dutch port discovered a 15th-century ship. The metal used in the ship’s body kept it well-preserved. Archaeologists are excited about the ship because they usually don’t find ships so well preserved.
The boat is 20 metres long and 8 metres wide. It weighs 40 tons. People used the ship for trade in the Baltic and North Seas.
Experts put the wreck into a special case and brought it up. They will keep it at a centre where people will take good care of it.
Difficult words: discover (to find), well-preserved (when something that is very old still looks very good), case (a box).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Would you like to find an old ship?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos