Accident at a zoo – level 3
Staff at a zoo in Illinois are investigating how a life support system in one of its tanks malfunctioned, killing 54 stingrays. Brookfield Zoo in Chicago has closed the habitat after what it called the tragic loss of the animals. It’s understood the stingrays died when oxygen levels in the tank dropped, but vets were unable to save the rays.
In a statement released on Facebook, Brookfield Zoo said immediate action was taken by animal care staff to rectify the situation and get the levels back to normal, but despite tireless efforts by staff, all the animals succumbed.
It went on to say the Chicago Zoological Society has made the decision not to reopen the temporary exhibit for the remainder of the season.
It’s not the first time animals have died in a tank at Brookfield Zoo. Sixteen stingrays were killed in 2008 when a tank’s heating system malfunctioned.
Difficult words: malfunction (to fail to work properly), habitat (a natural home), tragic (very sad), rectify (to correct), succumb (to die), temporary (existing only for a limited period of time).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos