Accident on a highway in China – level 3
This is the moment a woman resting on a hard shoulder of a road in China was hit by a runaway tyre.
The tyre which came loose from a semitrailer on a highway in Yiwu city on Tuesday, smashed into the woman and her car door.
Just after 10 am, the woman stopped her car on the shoulder of the highway. She got out and was stretching when the runaway rolling tyre hit her and knocked her off the road.
She was diagnosed with three fractures and is currently resting up in hospital.
Police have said both the woman and truck driver need to take responsibility over the incident, as some parts of the truck are not in conformity with the technical standards and the car was illegally stopped on the road shoulder.
Difficult words: hard shoulder (a strip alongside a motorway for stopping in an emergency), tyre (a rubber covering around a wheel), semitrailer (a big truck), smash (to hit), in conformity (following a rule).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.