Actors Want to Buy a Football Club – level 3
Two major Hollywood stars are interested in investing in a non-league Welsh football club.
Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney are said to be in talks to take over Wrexham AFC. The club, formed in 1864, is the third oldest professional football team in the world, and their pitch, the Racecourse Ground, is the oldest international football ground still in use.
The actors put forward their vision for the club to members at a special general meeting. A consortium of fan-owners voted overwhelmingly in favor for talks to proceed.
This is not the first time when Hollywood stars have dabbled in Welsh football ownership. In 2016, the US star Mindy Kaling purchased controlling stake in Swansea City.
Difficult words: consortium (a group of people or firms who have agreed to cooperate with each other), dabble (to take part in an activity in a casual or not very serious way), controlling stake (when someone owns a bigger part of a company than anybody else, and it gives him the right to control it).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.