Afghan parents sell children – level 1
Afghanistan is a poor country. Many other countries send help to Afghanistan. Everything changes last year. Now, the Taliban controls the country. The situation in Afghanistan gets worse. Help from other countries does not come anymore.
More than half of the people in Afghanistan do not have enough food. 3.2 million of children have bad problems. They do not get good food. They are sick and weak.
Some parents sell their children. One man sells his daughter to another man. They get married.
The girl is 10 years old. Her father sells her for 200 to 300 dollars. He buys food for the rest of his family.
The man sells his second daughter. She is 7 years old. The man needs money for medicine for his sick wife.
Parents usually sell girls. Older men buy them. The girls leave the families when they are older.
Difficult words: poor (when someone has very little or no money and other important things), weak (not strong enough), medicine (pills or other things which sick people use, and they feel better).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos