Airbus A340 lands in Antarctica – level 3
An Airbus A340 plane flown by Portuguese company Hi Fly landed on an icy runway in Antarctica for the first time in history.
The plane landed after a five-hour flight from Cape Town, South Africa, and the entire journey there and back covered 4,630 kilometers. An adventure camp commissioned the plane, and the plane brought supplies to its resort. The team spent less than three hours on the ground of Antarctica.
According to the captain, landing on a blue ice runway required a totally different way to approach the mission. There was no ground support equipment such as air start or a ground power unit, and there were other concerns. For example, there were no navigation or visual aids to support the landing.
Hi Fly specializes in wet leases, and it’s responsible for the insurance, maintenance, and other logistics. The company said that the aircraft would fly a small number of tourists alongside scientists and essential cargo to Antarctica.
Difficult words: commission (to formally choose someone to do a special piece of work), air start (a power source that starts large engines), wet lease (an arrangement that covers the hire of an aircraft including the flight crew and sometimes fuel).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.