Alan Rickman died – level 3
Actor and director Alan Rickman has passed away, aged 69. The star known for his epic performances, like strict potions master Professor Snape in the “Harry Potter series,” the sweet-singing but also slightly scary judge in “Sweeney Todd,” the would-be cheating husband in “Love Actually” or Bruce Willis’s enemy Hans in “Die Hard,” just to name a few.
Rickman’s family confirmed the actor died of cancer and was surrounded by friends and family at the time.
Although best known for his portrayal of baddies, Alan was also an accomplished theatre director, directing the award-winning play “My Name is Rachel Corrie” in 2005.
Tributes have been flooding in for the BAFTA, Golden Globe and Emmy Award-winning actor who said he could never quite reveal which of his many projects was his favourite.
“The thing is, when people ask you about films, you remember the film a bit, but you really remember where you were and the friends you made and what bit of the planet you were on and so the name of a film has a complicated set of memories to me, and I wouldn’t want to be disloyal to anybody.”
“Best person you’ve met then; you must have met a few.”
“I’m not falling for that one!”
Difficult words: pass away (to die), strict (harsh, authoritarian, not nice), confirm (to say something is true), baddie (a bad person in a film/book), tribute (something that respects someone).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.