Amazing meteor shower in China – level 3
This beautiful time-lapse footage is the annual Lyrid meteor shower.
The stunning lights lit up the night sky over Changbai Mountain in northeast China’s Jilin Province and was recorded by observers with stop-motion cameras. Those lucky enough to catch a glimpse of the spectacle found around 50 meteors visible per hour in the sky at midnight.
Meteor showers are caused when dust and other particles break off from an astronomical body and enter earth’s atmosphere on parallel courses.
The Lyrid meteor shower occurs in late April every year when the earth passes through the dusty tail of comet Thatcher.
Difficult words: time-lapse footage (video which was made by putting together many still pictures), annual (happening every year), stunning (amazing), observer (a person who observes – watches something), glimpse (a quick look), spectacle (a show), astronomical (coming from space), body (a thing).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos