Amazon on Fire – level 3
There are hundreds of fires burning in the Amazon rainforest, but fighting wildfires in the Amazon is challenging. The rainforest covers over 2.5 million square miles – it is so big that people detect the fires using satellites. The size and bad accessibility in the forest means that many fires go unchecked.
The Brazilian government’s environmental institute is mostly responsible for dealing with wildfires in the Amazon, but the country’s president, Jair Bolsonaro, said that he does not have the resources to fight the current wildfire outbreak. He is thinking about sending military troops.
It is normal to see some fires in the Amazon, but right now there are 83% more fires than this time in 2018, according to Brazil’s space agency. The president of the International Association of Wildland Fire said that this year’s fires “are a catastrophe of global proportions.”
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.