American Confederate Statue – level 2
Student at the University of North Carolina held a protest on campus last week.
When they were protesting over a Confederate statue known as ‘Silent Sam’. They saw it as a symbol of racist heritage. A few hours into the protest, they knocked down the statue, kicked it and cheered around the empty pedestal.
The University condemned the act. And police arrested one person.
Difficult words: heritage (cultural values which are passed from generation to generation), pedestal (a rock on which a statue stands), condemn (criticise, strongly disagree with).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos