Americans don’t live very long – level 1
The time after World War II is good for the US. It is a good time for business.
Life expectancy is a number that tells how long someone expects to live. In the 1960s, the life expectancy in the US is 70 years old. This is the 18th highest number in the world.
In 2020, the life expectancy is 77 years old. Now, the country is 61st in the world. Americans live longer than in the past. Many other nations live longer than Americans.
Many reasons explain the change. Since World War II, people work more. They do less sports. They eat unhealthy food.
Many people don’t go to the doctor regularly. They only go when they don’t feel good. Sometimes their situation is too late for help.
Difficult words: nation (people who live in the same area or country), reason (why something happens), unhealthy (something that is not good for the body).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos