America’s Next First Lady – level 3
The newly elected US president, Joe Biden, is the husband of Dr. Jill Biden who is a college English professor with four degrees, including a doctorate.
Joe Biden married his first wife and they had three children, two boys and a girl. However, Biden became a widower when his wife and a one-year old daughter were killed in a car crash. Joe and Jill Biden got married in 1977 and in 1981, they had their daughter Ashley.
As America´s next first lady, the 69-year old Jill Biden, plans to keep her job and continue teaching which is something that she did as the second lady when her husband was the vice president to Barack Obama. Biden wants to focus on education and together with Michelle Obama help military families.
Difficult words: doctorate (an academic degree awarded by universities which qualifies the holder to teach at university level), widower (a man whose partner has died), vice president (the second highest government officer who serves as a president´s deputy, a person who works as the president if the president cannot do his job).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.