Amnesty in Myanmar – level 1
Two journalist work for Reuters. They investigate the Myanmar government. They want to know if Myanmar killed Rohingya Muslims.
Police arrest the journalists in 2017. They go to prison. They must be there for seven years.
Last Tuesday, the president of Myanmar sets the journalists free. He sets free more than 6,500 prisoners, too. This is called an amnesty.
The United Nations is happy that the president does this.
Difficult words: investigate (get information), government (the bosses of a country), killed (past of ‘kill’).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos