An attack on Argentinian vice-president – level 3
A man with a gun threatened Argentina’s vice-president Cristina Fernández de Kircher while she was greeting supporters outside her home in Buenos Aires.
The attacker aimed at the vice-president, and he pulled the trigger. However, the weapon that had five bullets didn’t fire, so she wasn’t injured.
After the incident, the Argentinian president Alberto Fernández said that the attack was the most serious event that the country went through since it returned to democracy. He declared the day after the attack a national holiday, so the Argentinian people could express themselves in peace and harmony to defend life.
Hundreds of thousands of people gathered at the capital’s main plaza to show solidarity against the attack.
Difficult words: vice-president (an officer that serves as a president in the president’s absence), trigger (a mechanism that fires a gun when it’s released), solidarity (a feeling of unity and support among people).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.