An underwater robot – level 1
Scientists at Tethys Robotics, a Swiss company from ETH Zurich, make a special robot.
This robot works underwater. It goes to places which are too dangerous for people to go. The robot works on its own. It can handle hard places like rivers with dirty water. It helps when normal ways of finding and saving things do not work.
The robot has a battery which lasts for four hours. It weighs 30 kg when it is in water. It can go at a speed of 2 meters per second. It can also communicate over a fiber optics cable. The cable is up to 10 kilometers long.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are the capabilities of this robot and why would it be useful in places too dangerous for people to go?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.