Ancient human tooth – level 2
Archaeologists in Dmanisi, Georgia, found a very old tooth. The tooth belonged to a human who lived 1.8 million years ago.
Dmanisi was also where people found very old human skulls that were as old as the tooth. These finds were the oldest outside Africa, which made Georgia very special, and scientists were very excited.
The discovery of the tooth proved that Georgia was the home of the earliest humans in Europe. The whole area was clearly very important. It was where the first humans settled after Africa.
The oldest human fossils ever found were in Ethiopia, and they were around 2.8 million years old.
Difficult words: skull (the bones of the head), prove (to show that something exists or is true), fossil (a very old part of an animal or plant, which people usually find in the ground).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos