Angry Ukrainians hit a man – level 3
This video shows the moment the governor of a Ukrainian town Khmelnytskyi was confronted and attacked on Wednesday.
An angry crowd pounced on Leonid Prus who was verbally and physically attacked by local residents.
Despite a police presence in the room, scuffles broke out and video footage shows Prus being hit and carried by the visibly unhappy crowd.
The crowds chanted “resign” as he stood amongst them, before the confrontation became a physical one.
Prus told the crowd he believed he was fulfilling his duties, but clearly residents strongly disagreed, telling him he’d lied to the whole region.
Prus was seen walking out of the office, with his jacket torn, as he managed to leave the building through the window, only to be cornered by more angry residents outside.
Difficult words: crowd (a big group of people), pounce (to suddenly move forward and attack somebody), scuffle (short fight), break out (begin), chant (to say something again and again), corner (to go to somebody and make them listen).
Do people protest in your country?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.