Anonymous attack the Islamic State – level 3
French hackers from the activist group Anonymous have declared war on the so-called Islamic State after the Paris attacks.
In a video posted on YouTube, a representative wearing a hood and the group’s distinctive Guy Fawkes mask said the violence that left 129 people dead can’t go unpunished. The statement said, “That’s why Anonymous activists from all over the world will hunt you down.
Yes, you the vermin, who kill innocent victims. We will hunt you down like we did to those who carried out the attacks on Charlie Hebdo.
So get ready for a massive reaction from Anonymous. Know that we will find you and we will never let up. We are going to launch the biggest ever operation against you. Expect very many cyber-attacks. War is declared. Prepare yourselves.
Know this – the French people are stronger than you and will come out of this atrocity even stronger.”
The declaration is not the first time the activist group has targeted Islamic State. After the Charlie Hebdo attacks in January, a Belgian offshoot of the group said it was declaring war against al-Qaeda, Islamic State and other terrorists. It later boasted about shutting down a French website associated with extremists and helping get 1,500 IS-supporting Twitter and Facebook accounts offline. Anonymous first emerged in 2003 and has become known for a series of well-executed public attacks on corporations, religious and government bodies.
Difficult words: distinctive (characteristic), vermin (unpleasant people or animals who cause problems for society), let up (to stop trying), launch (to start), atrocity (an extremely cruel act), offshoot (a thing which develops from something else), boast (to talk with pride about something you have done), execute (to do), extremist (a person who believes strong opinions and uses strong actions to show those opinions), IS (abbreviation for ISIS, the Islamic State).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.