Antisemitic incidents at US universities – level 1
Some US politicians ask university presidents about antisemitic incidents. These are three universities. Problems start after Hamas attacks Israel on October 7.
The presidents strongly disagree with the attack. They say that Jewish students are safe. But they also say that free speech is important. Some universities, especially Harvard and the University of Pennsylvania, do not react fast enough to antisemitic incidents. At least some people say that.
Officials ask for better safety at universities and at specific events which could bring problems, such as pro-Palestinian and pro-Israel protests.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What steps are universities taking to ensure the safety of Jewish students and address incidents of antisemitism following recent events between Israel and Hamas?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.