Ape Named after Luke Skywalker – level 3
Scientists identified a new species of gibbon in remote forests in China. They named the species after “Star Wars” character Luke Skywalker. The name shows that these primates live high in the trees.
Scientists studying gibbons in the mountains of southwest China concluded that these gibbons are a new species of primates because they are different in many ways from other species of primates. The colours of their coats and their different facial markings are different.
They also have a distinct song and a duet between males and females. Gibbons are monogamous species, so they always have a duet. What was important into researches was the fact that their song was different from other species.
Mark Hamill, the actor playing Luke Skywalker, gave his approval to the new species name.
Gibbons also face legal hunting and destructive damage of their habitat.
Difficult words: conclude (decide that something is true after studying something), distinct (different, special), give approval (agree with something), face (be threatened by), habitat (the natural home of an animal or a plant).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.