Apple supplier in trouble – level 3
Foxconn, a major supplier of Apple’s iPhones, is under investigation for tax-related issues in China.
This information was reported by China’s state-backed Global Times, raising concerns that it may be politically motivated, possibly tied to Taiwan’s upcoming elections. Two unnamed sources close to Foxconn confirmed the tax probe but suggested that other companies had also been audited by Chinese authorities recently, and Foxconn’s case was made public for political reasons. These audits come just before Taiwan’s presidential election and amid Foxconn’s efforts to expand production outside China. Taiwan’s government accuses Beijing of trying to influence its elections, either through military or economic pressure.
Foxconn’s founder, Terry Gou, who stepped down from his role at the company in 2019, is running for president as an independent candidate. His candidacy might affect the opposition’s vote, potentially benefiting the current Vice President, Lai Ching-te, who leads in the polls.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What incentives or motive do the Chinese authorities have to make Foxconn’s tax probe publicly known before Taiwan's presidential elections?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.