Argentina crisis – level 1
A hundred years ago, Argentina is a very rich country. The situation is different now. Many crises happen in recent years. Now, the crisis in Argentina is very big.
Inflation in Argentina can be 100% this year. Inflation means that everything is getting more expensive. People can buy less for the same money.
People have only little money now in Argentina. Many men go to garbage dumps. They spend 12 hours there. They look for cardboard, plastic, metal, and even food. They sell what they find.
Many people also go to barter clubs. They are places to exchange things. People need no money. They usually trade old clothes for food.
Difficult words: crisis (a difficult or dangerous time), garbage dump (a place to leave things and materials which people don’t need anymore), exchange (to give something to someone and get something from him in return).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.