Argentina grows special wheat – level 1
Farmers in Argentina are testing a new type of wheat. This wheat is genetically modified. This type of science changes some information inside a plant. The change makes a new plant.
The new wheat is called HB4. It can grow with little rain. It is very important. Big droughts are happening in the world.
Ukraine is one of the biggest growers of wheat in the world. A war starts in Ukraine with Russia. Then Ukraine can’t sell its wheat. Many countries need wheat to make food.
The new wheat can grow in other parts of the world. It can grow in unusual places.
Some people worry. They say that the new wheat will mix with other wheat. The new wheat can contaminate the other wheat stock. It can make a bad problem for Argentina’s business.
Difficult words: drought (a long time without rain), contaminate (to make dirty), stock (a large amount of something to sell).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos