Athlete Defends Herself – level 2
Caster Semenya is an athlete from South Africa who is taking an athletics organisation to court. The organisation wants to force the woman to take medication to lower her testosterone.
A man who is working at the court said that the decision will be made after one week. People were not sure if Semenya was a woman after she won a competition in 2009. The organisation wants to be sure that all female athletes have similar amounts of testosterone. The organisation’s president said that the rules are there to help female athletes compete equally.
Difficult words: testosterone (a chemical in the body which all people have, but men have more of it than women; testosterone helps you be strong); amount (how much of something you have), compete (try to win against other people in sport).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.