Athlete wears a war symbol – level 1
The World Cup in gymnastics happens in Doha, Qatar. Athletes from Russia and Ukraine stand next to each other. They are among the best athletes. The Ukrainian athlete wins the gold medal.
Something shocking happens. A Russian athlete named Ivan Kuliak has a letter ‘Z’ on his shirt. It is a symbol for people who agree with the war in Ukraine.
People first see the letter on Russian tanks. The tanks are on their way to Ukraine. Now, the ‘Z’ is on cars and buildings, too. Many people openly say that they agree with the war in Ukraine.
Officials investigate the Russian athlete. The International Gymnastics Federation says that Russian and Belarusian athletes mustn’t be in any of its events.
Difficult words: shocking (something very bad and unpleasant), symbol (a picture or letter which represents an idea, company, and so on), investigate (to find out the truth about something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos